The 503 is a member of the Loco™ family, the most cost effective way to generate a high-quality, high frequency clock output from a lower frequency crystal or clock input. The name LOCO stands for Low Cost Oscillator, as it is designed to replace crystal oscillators in most electronic systems. Using Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL) techniques, the device uses a standard fundamental mode, inexpensive crystal to produce output clocks up to 160 MHz. Stored in the chip's ROM is the ability to generate nine different multiplication factors, allowing one chip to output many common frequencies (see table on page 2). This product is intended for clock generation. It has low output jitter (variation in the output period), but input to output skew and jitter are not defined or guaranteed. For applications which require defined input to output skew, use the 570B.
- Packaged as 8-pin SOIC (Pb-free) or die
- IDT's lowest cost PLL clock
- Generates 16.9344 MHz for stereo codecs from the 14.31818 MHz motherboard clock.
- Can be cost effective in replacing a single surface-mount crystal
- Can be driven by other 5xx series
- Input crystal frequency of 5 - 27 MHz
- Input clock frequency of 2 - 50 MHz
- Output clock frequencies up to 160 MHz
- Low jitter - 50 ps one sigma
- Duty cycle of 45/55 up to 160 MHz
- Operating voltages of 3.0 to 5.5V
- 25 mA drive capability at TTL levels
- Advanced, low power CMOS process